Tuesday 26 November 2013

Disco Unchained Meets John Type

Over many, many years of listening to electronic music, one tends to develop an ear for "special" tracks. By "special", we mean songs that are so uniquely done that you just can't ignore their brilliance. One such song is the "Electro Disco Mashup" that producer John Type has done. That one song (rather, that mix of songs) has moved us to the point that we absolutely had to get in touch with the artist behind it. So here it is, our chat with John Type. Remember the name, because he's going places.











  • 1 ) How on Earth did you get into music? Where did it begin?
    I was lucky enough to grow up in a family where there was art and music! At the age of 4 years old my dear grandmother taught me the basics of piano, then at 12 years old I discovered the hip hop culture and I was one graffiti writer for many years, this then led me to the world of turntablism and the DJ.
    2 ) What are the top 3 motivating features regarding your music? What inspires you to play?
    1 - Emotions 2 - Visions 3 - Full Moon
    3 ) What are your top 3 favorite songs of all time?
    1 - Moonlight Sonata - Ludwig Van Beethoven 2 - It's Just Begun - The Jimmy Castor Bunch 3 - Tour De France - Kraftwerk
    4 ) How long have you been producing? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    I was born as a dj and turntablist in 1997, then in 2001 I started to produce with hardware samplers and synths .. in 5 years? It would be nice to create an original sound.
    5) What are your top 3 favorite horror movies of all time?
    1 - The Thing (1982) 2 - Alien (1979) 3 - Scanners (1981)
    6 ) What's your favorite pizza topping?
    Italian sausage and porcini mushrooms!
    7 ) How on Earth did you learn to mix like that? After hearing your 'electro disco' mashup, we were smitten. How long did it take you make it?
    Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed! Rather than mixing, it takes longer to find the right songs to mix together, it is important that the songs must be in perfect harmony to make a good mashup. I think it took me about 2/3 days to decide the right songs. When I play live with my Video DJ Set, I mix tracks separately with Serato Video with only 1 technics 1200's and a Rane TTM 57.
    8 ) Your video editing skills are brilliant as well. The music video is brilliant for the electro disco mashup you did. How long did that take?
    Thank you again! To edit the video it took me more time, especially because I have not done with a professional video software, what I used: Ableton Live for video time stretch and editing, iMovie to make dual screen effect and Handbrake for to crop and convert formats. The workflow and the waiting time for rendering were endless! In addition to this some of the songs did not have the original video so I had to do a search to find the suitable video and edit it. To create the entire video it took me approximately one week!
    9 ) What's your all time favorite place to hang out and chill?
    Positive people, good drinks and nice music.. And magically every place is great!
    10 ) Tell us a bit about John Type. Do you have any tours lined up? Do you see yourself performing globally over the next 10 years?
    For now I'm in the studio working on a new ep and other side projects, then we'll see what happens...
_______________________________________________________________________


  • You guys can follow him here!



No comments:

Post a Comment